The Smokie Mountains
Fly Fishing is a year round activity in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and surrounding area. If you love a challenge, give Fly Fishing a try. Anglers have over 2000 miles of rivers, creeks and streams for fishing. Trout, bass, crappie and blue gill thrive in this area. Headwaters of The Great Smoky Mountain streams are protected by the National Park Service and are exquisitely clean.
The Little River originates in Elkmont and Tremont areas of The Great Smoky Mountains, and meanders through peaceful Townsend Tennessee. "One of the finest rivers in Tennessee for trophy Trout". Brown Trout in Little River possess the strength and size to test any anglers skill. Smoky Mountains Little River Road is accessible from Townsend, Wears Valley and Gatlinburg , this area offers excellent year round fly fishing opportunities.
Fishing is permitted year-round in open waters.
Fishing is allowed from a half hour before official sunrise to a half hour after official sunset.
Daily Possession Limits:
Five (5) rainbow or brown trout, smallmouth bass, or a combination of these, each day or in possession, regardless of whether they are fresh, stored in an ice chest, or otherwise preserved. The combined total must not exceed five fish. Twenty (20) rockbass may be kept in addition to the above limit. A person must stop fishing immediately after obtaining the limit.
Rainbow and Brown Trout: 7" minimum
Brook Trout (only in specifically opened waters): 7" minimum
Smallmouth Bass: 7" minimum
Rockbass (redeye): No size limit
Trout or smallmouth bass caught less than the legal length shall be immediately returned to the water from which it was taken.
Lures, Bait and Equipment:
1. Fishing is permitted only by the use of one hand-held rod.
2. ONLY artificial flies or lures with a single hook may be used. Dropper flies may be used. Up to two flies on a leader.
3. Use or possession of any form of fish bait or liquid scent other than artificial flies or lures on or along any park stream while in possession of fishing tackle is prohibited. Prohibited baits include, but are not limited to, minnows (live or otherwise preserved), worms, corn, cheese, bread, salmon eggs, pork rinds, Power Bait, liquid scents and natural baits found along streams.
4. Use or possession of double, treble, or gang hooks is prohibited.
5. Fishing tackle and equipment, including creels and fish in possession, are subject to inspection by authorized personnel.
Printed Fishing Regulations are available at GSMNP Visitor Centers.
Experimental Brook Trout Fishery:
Because of the results of recent fisheries research and the success of the park's brook trout restoration effort, park management has opened sections of eight streams to brook trout fishing and harvest on an experimental basis. Four of the stream segments are in North Carolina and four are in Tennessee. The same possession and minimum size restrictions apply to brook trout in these streams that apply to trout fishing in other open park waters (maximum possession five total fish, minimum length seven inches).
The eight streams open to brook trout fishing are shown on the map side of the GSMNP Fishing Regulations. The three-year experimental opening began July 1, 2002. The eight open streams will be monitored annually and anglers catch and harvest success will be periodically checked. At the conclusion of the experiment, biologists will evaluate the data and make recommendations for the future of brook trout fishing in the park.
LICENSE RATES: Tennessee
- Non-Resident One Day All Fishing - $10.50
- Non-Resident Three Day Fishing - $16.50 - No Trout
- Non-Resident Ten Day Fishing - $25.50 - No Trout
- Non-Resident Annual Fishing - $41.00 - No Trout
- Non-Resident Three Day All Fish - $33.50
- Non-Resident Ten Day All Fish - $50.50
- Non-Resident Annual All Fish - $81.00
- Gatlinburg Trout Daily Fishing - $2.50
- Gatlinburg Three Day All Fishing - $6.50
- Gatlinburg and the Park combined License - $20.50
Smoky Mountain Fly Fishing Directory
Rocky Top Outfitters 2611 Ruth Hall Rd. Pigeon Forge, Tennessee 37863